You are not logged in.

#1 2005-09-13 13:17:34

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Computer Science

Hmm.. I've been at this university for about 3 weeks now, and all i've "learned" is how to deal with office, and what ram, bits,bytes etc. is..
This really sucks, i sure hope it gets better. wink

Well, I did kick some ass when we where told to hand in a simple XHTML page about our intrests, compared to most other students.. big_smile

What are you other people doing right now? Found a nice house yet, smiddy? And dex, how's your business going? ( just starting a random conversation becasue i'm to lazy for any real work on BOS right now.. wink )

/ Christoffer

#2 2005-09-14 10:17:47

Dex4u
PM

Re: Computer Science

Its no better in the UK, my cousin, started a computer course at colage and the first thing they learnt was browsing the internet, by letting them go to any site they wanted sad.
And the tut did not know what linux was sad.
Business is go great, but i wish it was a computer business, as i think i may be addicted to computers sad.
A friend of main started a PC repair business, he got over a 100 calls from a small advert, but 99% were for window, so he loves bill gate, as he keeps him in business wink.

#3 2005-09-15 05:52:52

smiddy
PM

Hi, yes, we found a house. Well, i should say, we are having one built to our specifications. I'm real excited about it. I am on location now and will be here for the duration. The house won't be finished until January or February. More to follow this weekend...

I think most colleges will not challenge you in their early stages. Perhaps not even at the higher levels until you get to graduate school. Most people don't have a clue, this is why the universities start at such a elementary level, people have to start somewhere. The hard thing for you will be trying to stay focused since you already know a great deal. If you have the opportunity try to get into accelerated courses or get into research where you can apply what you already know. Otherwise it will be monotonous. I went through a similar experience when I decided the only way to progress at work was to get a degree. I had 20 years experience but since I didn't have a degree my options were limited. So, I grinned and bared it and graduate last December. As it turns out, I landed this job which is a promotion commenserate with my experience and education.

I'll post later this weekend.

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

#4 2005-09-15 12:50:11

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Well, i should say, we are having one built to our specifications.

Wow, thats cool. A pretty good promotion I guess? wink

The hard thing for you will be trying to stay focused since you already know a great deal.

I bet it's gonna be hard for me to adjust if/when it gets harder... The most advanced part so far has been to program
the "web turtle" at: http://www.sonic.net/~nbs/webturtle/
Which I suppose is a good exercise for people that have never seen a line of code before, but pretty booring if you ask me.. tongue

#5 2005-09-15 13:32:14

Dex4u
PM

Is it me or is there a big drop in the number of people into programming and particular OS Dev, all the forum seem dead and each month it seem to get worse sad.

#6 2005-09-16 10:56:27

smiddy
PM

Hi Gents!

bubach wrote:

Wow, thats cool. A pretty good promotion I guess? wink

Yes, a nice promotion, one well deserved. It is tough not having a degree and getting to be an engineer. Then I earned my degree and the company I was with didn't promote me as they had said they would when I completed it. So with this new company I got promoted and they are paying for my relocation.

bubach wrote:

Which I suppose is a good exercise for people that have never seen a line of code before, but pretty booring if you ask me..

Yeah, that would do it. There are people who [i]really[/i] put the life and soul into programming. Others are using it just to get to where they want to go, simply, it is a job. You are fortunate to love what you are doing. Most people don't.

Dex4u wrote:

Is it me or is there a big drop in the number of people into programming and particular OS Dev, all the forum seem dead and each month it seem to get worse :-( .

I can't say...I've been hiding since I have barely had any time. Though it does seem like there aren't as many posts.

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

#7 2005-09-26 19:46:29

Warrior@Nowhere

I'm still tinkering away....somewhere.

#8 2005-10-01 16:38:29

Nelson
PM

Haha, that was me.

#9 2005-10-02 13:27:09

bubach
Administrator