You are not logged in.

#1 2005-08-10 14:23:39

DRF

Programs

Like the look of the new screenshots how's the OS been progressing recently?

In your poll I answered maybe. It would be handy if had a short guide on how to write programs for your OS, with what standards and features will be available/used in the OS. (to get an indication of how hard program writing for it will be)

Then you could write a short list of utilities and applications you would like people to write ideally. Then if someone felt like writing one of the desired programs they could post there intentions. (else you might end up with the same program ported 2 or 3 times or lots of games but no word processor etc.)

I noticed in your 0.03 version you had a screen shot of the help command saying something along the lines of 'menu - in-progress' did this become anything or did you decide to concentrate on a GUI rather than work on a early DOS style text based menu/shell?

Looking forward to seeing lots of eye candy in your future screen shots.

Daniel

#2 2005-08-10 19:29:53

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Re: Programs

Hi, thanks for your comments/suggestions.

I am currently working on the VFS and FAT12 drivers, so that I can load programs. When it's finished I'm going to start working on the function interface for user programs, right now I don't have a single OS interrupt working.
The menu thing was something that I was thinking of having when a user press CTRL+ALT+DEL, with options to shut down the program, view the registers/stack etc. But like most other "small" stuff planned, I put it aside until programs can be loaded, that's when I'll need it.

I won't really start anything like a GUI any time soon. First I'm going to get higher res. textmodes working, and maybe using VESA modes, but only for text displaying.

The work is progressing really slowly right now. I have got into a design phase, where I have to think alot of how the VFS, device handling, driver loading, program loading etc. will work.
When I'm done thinking, the implementation should be a piece of cake.. wink

/ Christoffer

#3 2005-08-10 23:42:07

Nelson
PM

Nice

#4 2005-08-11 12:46:12

Dex4u
PM

bubach wrote:

When I'm done thinking, the implementation should be a piece of cake.. wink

But the debugging may not be.. wink

#5 2005-08-11 17:15:50

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Dex4u wrote:

But the debugging may not be.. wink

Hehe.. You'r right..
Yesterday I got one of my "bright" moments where I figured out most of how the interface's
for programs, drivers etc. will work.
Now I'll just have to actually sit down and code some... :S

#6 2005-08-12 12:13:35

Dex4u
PM

Good luck wink

Board footer