You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-25 16:51:34

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

OS interface design

Now that I am finally getting somewhere with BOS ( with my dev version ), like almost finished the
VFS system and started working on the FAT12 driver; I am thinking of how the OS will look like
when I release the next version.
I am not satisfied with the CLI look. Dex4u for ex. has a much more nice looking interface.

So what I want here is your opinions on how the visible part of BOS will look like, what
resolution to use, what colors and all other cool stuff that can make users stick to it. tongue

Any suggestions or "mspaint"-drawings are welcome!

/ Christoffer

#2 2005-07-26 08:17:26

AxelDominatoR
PM  Website

Re: OS interface design

Speaking about CLI mode, one of designs I like is that:
[url]http://people.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/screenshot/uusia2/irssi.naula-theme.01.png[/url]

Top line is the header: ( try new great keyboard code in CVS ) it could contain some valuable info ( free memory or other weird things, for example cool )

The main, scrollable display is the big part ( ohhh... really? tongue )
...under which there's another info line. A contextual menu with hotkey functions/informations that changes for every app could be useful there.
At last, the prompt.

An application could certainly require a "full screen textmode", but most of consoles applications could use a "standard" way, so these things could be themable by the shell and the application will not need to be recompiled.

That's one of the designs I like to use when in console mode... sort of standardized "subdisplays" for all console apps...

Axel

---
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC

#3 2005-07-26 12:28:10

Dex4u
PM

@bubach, I am surprised you chose "Dex4u" as a example, as i think the "Dex4u" Cli looks a bit untidy :-( .

You could consider making a Cli that also has a highlight bar, like in a menu so that any thing that as been run once, can be run again by putting the highlight bar over it and pressing enter,
this can also be used for run things from the help menu or the Dir list.
A sort of cross between a Cli and a menu, but in text mode.

#4 2005-07-26 15:21:49

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

If you think that about Dex4u, then what do you think of BOS.. tongue

#5 2005-07-26 15:53:35

Dex4u
PM

I think theres nothing wrong with the layout of BOS.
I think, the old v2os looks good .

Attachments:
Attachment Icon demo.jpg, Size: 12,819 bytes, Downloads: 776

#6 2005-07-26 16:56:07

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Yeah, but dex4u's and v2os looks almost the same (in other words, good).
Any other suggestions are welcome.

#7 2005-07-26 17:21:38

smiddy
PM

Well, since you asked...yeah, in smiddyOS I am going to implement some type of CLI with a paneling theme. Much like Dex4u, ala, v2os, with a panel that says smiddyOS, with particular important information customizeable by the user. Screen size will be, at first, since I don't plan on implementing a MODE command until 2.0, 132 x 60 (or best screen size I can muster, 90 x 60 is best on some). I may make the smiddyOS panel off to one side or the other instead of top or bottom (maybe sizeable and moveable). Since you can load more than one font, you have the ability to use 512 characters, so (C) and TM, etc can be made within the second font set. Or a cool BOS designed multi-character concoction.

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

#8 2005-07-26 17:56:03

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Hehe, I better check up on the diffrent resolutions ( not all look great on every computer )
and on how to enable the second font. smile

#9 2005-07-26 18:47:41

smiddy
PM

Look for MAIN.EXE it is a video mode program, written in ASM as well as C. I can not recall the author's name, but in the program he uses two font sets for desplaying characters. I'm away from my main computer until Sunday.

Yes, there are a few resolutions that are real ugly on some machines. It may be benificial to ask the user what screen resolution they prefer.

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

#10 2005-07-26 18:51:49

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Yeah, I am thinking of using the standard 80*25 until I can read the config file..
PS: Now that you mention it, I have that somewhere on my computer.. smile

Board footer