You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-09 15:37:17

raysad
PM

BOS on an SBC

Has anybody tried to install and run BOS on a small board computer (SBC). I have a WinSystems PCM-586 which is supposed to be able to support DOS, Windows CE/3.1/95/98/NT, Linux, QNX, VxWorks, and RTXC. When I tried to install BOS it seems to get to the point of loading the kernel and then the system just hangs. The screen shows the little green dots, but no other text. I tried my own pmode system, and the same thing occurs, just hangs with no text.

I guess the other OS's are using a different method for entering pmode, but I am not sure. Any body like to guess as to what the problem might be.

#2 2005-03-09 16:00:54

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Re: BOS on an SBC

Do you have any links to info on those board computers? I might get it to work... It's nice to see that there is intrest in running BOS, even on a diffrent platform..
Please keep me updated with any info or progress...

EDIT:
Ah, I found this: http://pc104.winsystems.com/products/pc104/pcm586.html
Looks neat.. With that I could build some specific BOS computer (if I get it to run), like my own small BOSbox.. wink

/ Christoffer

#3 2005-03-09 16:51:40

raysad
PM

This is the link:
http://pc104.winsystems.com/products/pc104/pcm586.html

The problem, I have a suspision, has a lot to do with how the interrupts are handled. The SBC is generally accesed through a com port using a dumb terminal (computer with a terminal program). I have experimented with video buffer outputs, 0xb800 in real mode, and 0xb8000 in pmode, these do not work. I think it has something to do with pushing the video through a com port and then having a terminal program translate it. The same thing would apply to the keyboad.

On the SBC, I have had, freeDOS installed, and it works fine via the dumb terminal mode.

#4 2005-03-09 16:57:15

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Hmm.. Okay, is there any easy way to check that the OS is running on that computer, or what should I do to make BOS understand that it should act diffrent..?

/ Christoffer

#5 2005-03-09 21:27:19

smiddy
PM

I have one of those at the house. I used it for integrating 82C55 chips into the ISA bus. If I get crazy this weekend I'll set it up with an HDD and floppy and let you know. I suspect it should work. The board I have has a QNX ROM too, which I've disabled. It is only capable of 64MB RAM, but should work ok I suspect. If I change the CPU speed on it, it either is a Pentium or a 486. I think I was using it at it's slowest setting for timing reasons with the 82C55...

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

Board footer