You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-06 17:23:56

Dex4u
PM

MenuetOS game programming compo

@bubach, are you going to enter as you wanted to try your skills in a programming compo ?.
Too short a time for me.

http://menuet.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=483

#2 2005-03-06 18:10:08

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Re: MenuetOS game programming compo

I've seen it, but I don't have time for it, and no good idea for a game.. sad
But as always, it will be more chances to come..

/ Christoffer

#3 2005-03-07 12:35:04

smiddy
PM

Do you guys think that a team effort is allowed? Not that I have time either...but I suspect that two heads are better than one, if you get my drift.

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

#4 2005-03-07 12:52:48

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Maybe.. They don't need to know about it..  cool
Any ideas for a game?

#5 2005-03-07 15:13:42

smiddy
PM

Nope, too serious of stuff happening in my life right now to be creative. The only thing that came to mind was "[b]Kill the Postman[/b]" but that would be a first person thing, where you can be either the postman or the person trying to kill the postman. The different perspectives lends itself to Internet game play. You can have a postoffice that has the daily duties, and ensure they don't die. You'd have the general public, animals, et al, that are out to get the postman. The beauty of this is the outfit of the postman...he get special abilities as he ages, and he has the law on his side too, along with all the resources of the governing body, which are organized. Everyone else isn't so organized and are really chaotic and unpredictable. The engine would have to be AI to the extent that the postman has the advantage of knowing how others have died in the past and can adjust to those ways by adding new devices all the time that will help him survive.

OK, so that is my quick and dirty. Feasible? Not really quickly and in assembly, probably not. But is interesting.

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

#6 2005-03-07 16:49:58

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Maybe a bit to hard for a weeks work in Assembly.. wink
I would go for something more platform:ish, some sort of mario clone or similar, mainly becasue I really like those kind of games.. smile

/ Christoffer

#7 2005-03-07 22:17:56

Dex4u
PM

There was a game i played years ago, there was floor leaves with ladders go up to differant floors, you the player was a small man, also in the game were spiders like creatures, coloured green, white, red.
To start with all the creatures were white to kill them you digged a hole, if the fell in you had about seconds to fill the hole in, if you did they died, if not they got out of the hole as green spiders, to kill these you needed to dig one hole above another so they fell through two holes, the red spiders needed three hole, on each higher level you got more red spiders.

This would be a good game smile .

#8 2005-03-07 22:38:44

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Sounds fun...
Some games I would make for BOS if I ever get the time:

A game that I played for the first time on an old mac. You are digging throw some tunnles with the view from the side. It exists "mountain" walls and loose rocks. You are supposed to pick up a sertain number of diamonds to unlock the door on the end of the maze. Some dimonds may be under loose rocks, and if you are not careful, they will fall on your head. It aslo has a time limit. Really fun game..

Mario, is a game that my first goal with OS dev was based on. I wanted to run that DOS game on my own OS.. Of course, now I have learned that it will need a rewrite to 32 bit but I will try to port it..

Jetpack, a game I only tried a couple of times, but I liked it so it may end up on my todo list.. wink

And of course all other cool DOS games.. Hmm, I wonder if I'll live to see the day it's all finished.

/ Christoffer

#9 2005-03-08 01:49:29

smiddy
PM

I like all the old arcade games myself. I still love PacMan...I spent my allowance on that for many weeks in a row.

Donkey Kong or something along those lines, or maybe the spider game sounds kewl. That reminds me of DigDug.

I wish I could help...I'm trying to find a job, so resumes are my life now. lol

#10 2005-03-08 12:54:13

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Oh, good luck with the jobhunting then...

#11 2005-03-08 15:32:18

tonyMac
PM

I'm also looking for a job, but it's for co-op education.  The problem is, I have absolutely no "real" experience in my field (Electrical Engineering).   I'm a Sophomore, so I don't exactly have any classes in, not even circuits 1...  And my school requires so many terms in a job.  Of, course, the job doesnt' have to be in my major, but it wouldn't help me much to be the electrical engineer with 2 years software experience.  lol

#12 2005-03-08 16:30:14

smiddy
PM

tonyMac wrote:

I'm also looking for a job, but it's for co-op education.  The problem is, I have absolutely no "real" experience in my field (Electrical Engineering).   I'm a Sophomore, so I don't exactly have any classes in, not even circuits 1...  And my school requires so many terms in a job.  Of, course, the job doesnt' have to be in my major, but it wouldn't help me much to be the electrical engineer with 2 years software experience.  lol

My degree is in Electrical Engineering too, though I'm a Systems Engineer. Systems Engineering encompasses everything...we are jacks of all trades and masters of none, so to speak. My current position is requirements analysis for a huge software system. I'm on the lookout for work in RF...as I prefer the hardware side of things more due to the intensity of the people. I think that any engineering experience you gather along the way is valuable, even if it isn't within your determined dicipline. I work with PhDs who're geophysists and aren't even close to their dicipline, but they apply the knowledge they gained from their dicipline to their current work. I beleive the experience you get will provide you with other opportunities that if you don't explore, will never be realized. Most hiring managers I've come across appreciate diversity which leads into a dynamic person more valuable to the enterprise. Just my tar-pence. :wink:

Last edited by smiddy (2005-03-08 16:32:23)

#13 2005-03-09 14:47:28

tonyMac
PM

Thanks smiddy,
    I've broadened my search (both geographically and in discipline), because I live in a very rural area, even though a major city is an hour away.  I may well end up doing software, it's what I have the most experience in, at least on paper.  That's why I chose EE as my major, I saw a very broad range of career choices, and an ability to apply other fields in interesting ways.  Im afraid I'll have to brush up on my C++, however... 
PS   oh, and I do have a very strong interest in electronics, that's what led me to the computer, I just don't have enough money to work on the projects I've moved on to (An EPROM programmer is a lot for a guy with no job).  So, I've decided to spend a lot of time with op-amps, I like the more analog approach to problem solving, especially when looking at the constraints of a PIC with an ADC.  I'm going to have Digitals 1 this term.  *yawn*
Once I get some money together, I think I'm going to look into PAL and other programmable logic.  Right now I'm trying to make as functional a robot as possible without using a CPU.  (No access to a programmer makes that mandatory, but still a fun challenge).

#14 2005-03-09 15:31:01

smiddy
PM

tonyMac,

I like flip-flopping (pun-intended) between analog and digital. I don't see analog going away either as some have predicted. I've worked with some of the fastest A/Ds and they're still not fast enough to get out to the antenna (high end microwave), so intermediate frequency (IF) bands will exist for some time. But I think some day base band will be out at the antenna. This also leads to making software needed more than ever, since it is the transition of 1's and 0's into some language that makes sense to humans.

Once you've finished your degree, you will reap the rewards that the degree bestows on you, but I expect that your hobby may change to something more leisurely than building/designing robots. Just focus on the light at the end of the tunnel...as they say.

BTW, there are some fantastic FPGAs out there that need specific digital design, which is mainly in the software realm too. A lot of DSP is done this way now and is very much more cost effective than it has been in the past. Instead of changing out components, you redo the software and poof you have a new design. Saaaa-weet!

Last edited by smiddy (2005-03-09 15:32:12)

Board footer