You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-05 18:01:01

smiddy
PM

16-bit protected mode...

As you know I've been working on driver interface for our OSes. In doing my research I have ran into a snag because I'm unfamiliar with 16-bit protected mode and the use of the associated registers. This is due to Plug and Play as well as Systems Management BIOS. Both use 16-bit protected mode for calling them in determining the installed devices. I tried a direct 32-bit call, but imagine what happens upon a return from a call? It calls another routine not within the original sequence.

So, do I need to do anything special, other than setup registers (ie. DS, SS) and jump to 16-bit code? Then re-setup 32-bit code and registers? What should I look out for? Any pitfalls anyone else has encoutnered?

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

#2 2005-07-10 20:09:01

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Re: 16-bit protected mode...

Sorry for not being able to post sooner. I saw that Dex4u already answered
on the dex forum.

/ Christoffer

#3 2005-07-11 09:13:26

smiddy
PM

Re: 16-bit protected mode...

No problem! I've been working on running Plug and Play information. I haven't yet been able to make it work in 32 or 16 bit protected mode. However, real mode it is coming along nicely. It is just slow. I am currently looking at memory detection scheme again and it seems that you can, even under Windows DOS window, you can get teh full amount of RAM installed. When I have polished the application and the PnP routines I'll put it on the forum here.

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

Board footer