could be paid by companys that like to use BOS. But on the other hand, it
might be less people willing to develop under that licence, and i can't use any
free code.. sad

/ Christoffer

#4 2005-03-24 17:35:18

Crunch
PM

Re: Future licence?

Not that it's crucial that you know my preferences, but for many purposes I like using the BSD or MIT style license if I'm choosing one.

If one license doesn't meet all your needs (one size can't fit all), then you may consider having one version being GPL flavor if you want to include other relevant free software, and another subset version under a BSD or MIT flavor license that's more business friendly.  I can only speak for myself since on one hand I'm a hobbyist and on the other I actively work in the biz in an ongoing attempt to earn a living.  Depending on the nature and primary utility of a given element, I am comfortable making contributions for hobbyiest/general purpose needs to GPL efforts while in other cases treating some functions/features as either proprietary or trade/sell/support it to others trying to do business with that under BSD or MIT license so they don't have to publish it when making distributions (since it's usually only one element of many in their product/service) and they have the flexibility of adding/modifiying it to their future needs without being captive to me as the sole-source.  In general, I've found in most cases working with decent biz types that if you support what you/ve provided to them and are responsive and not overly greedy, many times they will happily continue to do business with you by paying for upgrades and such as opposed to doing it in-house and having their people spend all the time & effort to really understand your code and architecture.

As always, there are two extremes in the software world and I'm just one person that tries to deal in some way that I find reasonable and productive.  Just my perspective/opinion and I'm always trying to make improvements in my dealings in "both worlds" as I continue to decide what makes sense to what is most appropriate and productive to contribute & participate in "both worlds" on a case-by-case basis.

As always... free advice (especially unsolicited) may only be worth what you paid for it!

Carpe Diem!  Crunch

#5 2005-03-24 22:42:04

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

First of all, welcome to the forums Crunch!
Thanks for the advice, I think that I am going for GPL. It's easiest that way.
Hopefully I can get rich and famous anyway... big_smile

/ Christoffer

#6 2005-03-24 23:11:15

Crunch
PM

Christopher,

Going for fame first and then fortune second is certainly a valid path! wink

Carpe Diem!  Mark

P.S.  Thanks for the welcome. 
Who knows, I might even become useful from time to time on small matters hmm

#7 2005-03-24 23:13:30

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Hehe..
Yeah, who knows.. wink

#8 2005-03-25 11:55:51

smiddy
PM

Just my tar-pence...it might be wise to get a lawyer (barister, or whatever y'all call them there) who you trust to help draft it. If I understand you, I think there are some things of interest that you want addressed and anyone savvy with the linguistics such as a lawyer can help you address your needs and desires.

- [color=red]s[/color][color=blue]m[/color][color=red]i[/color][color=blue]d[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]y[/color]

#9 2005-03-25 16:40:44

bubach
Administrator
PM  Website

Thanks, but now I have already decided to go for GPL.

Board footer